During this enormously difficult time when the food industry is reeling, we want to support Oxfordshire’s amazing pubs, cafes, food shops, producers and restaurants.
Here is a selection of the new options available to fight back against coronavirus:
- The Milkshed in Weston On The Green – from tomorrow an express takeaway menu will be available at the farm-based cafe featuring their famous sandwiches, soups and even their celebrated dal. The Milkshed club sandwich with cold chicken and a basil mayo, which has never been off the menu, will still be available. All you have to do it turn up, give your order and wait for you food. Or ring 07498 457723 to order in advance and then swing by and pick it up.
The rest of the restaurant menu will also be available but may requite a longer wait.
Owner Lucie Ellis said: “We have posted our new express takeaway menus online and on social media today so people can still enjoy the Milkshed’s fresh food made on site everyday.
Choose from thick yoghurt, homemade granola and berry compote £5, ham hock, cannellini, kale and vegetable soup, wild garlic pesto and fresh bread £8, lentil and coconut dal, yoghurt and cucumber pickle with fresh bread £9, the classic ciabatta club – roast chicken and ham, basil mayo, roast tomatoes, rocket and emmental £9, Ellie’s Dairy soft goats cheese and beetroot hummus on fresh spinach ciabatta with rocket, pesto and lots of herbs £7, box of salad with a selection or our 3 lush salads and rocket £6, mega tart and salads £11 (perfect to heat at home), streaky bacon sourdough sarnie £6 or spicy chorizo crostini, peppers, rocket, aioli and chilli jelly £9.50
“If needs be we will also run a ‘drive through’ style scenario where people can pick up from a hatch/window and if needs be we will look into a delivery service,” Lucie says.
“We hope our customers stay loyal and just use us in a different way so we can pay our bills, staff and suppliers and stay open.”
The Milkshed is also removing its large central tables so that there is more space between its customers still choosing to eat in. Find them on Facebook @themilkshedstore
2) Taste Tibet – while plans for their new restaurant are up in the air, as are any festival plans, Taste Tibet is going to be setting up shop outside Silvie on Iffley Road on Friday and Saturday evening for takeaways only.
The full Silvie/Taste Tibet collaboration will continue in a tent at the front of the cafe/restaurant in East Oxford.
You can also email over your order the night before and jump straight to the front of the queue to collect your Himalayan take-away on the night. email email@example.com or go to https://www.tastetibet.com
3) Anyone worrying about running out of gin need fear not. The award-winning Chalgrove Artisan Distillery delivers locally free of charge. So if going to the pub is no longer an option you can still try this amazing tipple in the comfort of your own home. Go to https://chalgroveartisandistillery.com
4) The White Horse in Kings Sutton has already drawn up a new window menu. Expect the same high calibre food, sourcing and careful preparation in their new takeaway menu, including breakfast from 8am-11pm and lunch from 12 noon -3pm which includes fish and chips and Little Hill Farm hotdog, sauerkraut and chips. Their homemade bread is also available. What are you waiting for? http://black horse kings sutton
5) The Star at Sparsholt starts its new take-away and local delivery service today. Ring head chef Matt at the pub on 01235 751 873 to discuss his daily specials. http://www.thestarsparsholt.co.uk/food#book-a-table
6) The whole menu at The Jericho Cafe is available for takeaway from excellent coffee to fry ups, a healthy lunch, home-made cakes or a full evening meal. http://www.thejerichocafe.co.uk
7) Mayfield Eggs can be delivered in trays of 30 to keep you well stocked up, stay healthy and support a local business that’s been running in Oxfordshire for three generations. Their eggs are famous throughout the county and found everywhere from Le Manoir to Turl Street Kitchen. http://www.mayfieldeggs.co.uk
8) If you can’t make it into the Limes Farm tea shop in Farthinghoe near Banbury you’ll be pleased to hear they delivering their great choice of handmade meals on Wednesdays and Fridays. With seven to choose from a week and a good selection of vegetarian and vegan options this could well be the way forward folks. Ring 01295 711229. Meals cost £4 each. Min order 3. http://www.limesfarm.com
9) Cranston Pickles aren’t taking this lying down and instead have launched a new line in postal pickles. Choose from locally sourced unwaxed organic pickled lemons, piccalilli, pear and ginger jam, Mama Cranston’s sweet chilli jam, pickled radishes , curried cauliflower or try their vegan kimchi. For more details go to https://www.cranstonpickles.com
10) The White Hart in Fyfield is open as usual but is also offering takeaway fish and chips tonight from 6pm-8.30pm and a full take away menu from tomorrow. Order on 01865 390585. https://www.whitehart-fyfield.com
11) Tap Social is offering home delivery on beer from tomorrow on orders of over 12 bottles. To order email firstname.lastname@example.org with your order. https://www.tapsocialmovement.com
We are sure there is so much more going on. We want to hear from anyone in the food industry about what they are doing, if they are staying open, diversifying and to publicise all the hard work going on behind the scenes to keep their businesses going. Just email us at email@example.com
We will keep you posted with the good news stories, profiles, chef news, food producers, vlogs and podcasts to keep them in the public eye and ensure our readers stay updated on what’s going on and what they can do to help.
That’s all for now from oxinabox.co.uk