It’s Shrove Tuesday on Feb 25 – just a few days time, so here’s our top tips on where to go for the best pancakes.
1) The French Crepe – Cowley Road – Just opened and the perfect place to go on Shrove Tuesday, offering savoury and sweet pancakes with some seriously naughty toppings.
2) Breakfast Club – The Westgate. For the fifth year running, The Breakfast Club’s annual Pancake Challenge returns. 12 pancakes in 12 minutes. Win? It’s on them. Lose? You pay £20 which is spent on treating pensioners to a fun day out to help combat loneliness and isolation.
The Pancake Challenge is only available on Pancake Day.
All five pancake specials will be available until March and include The Lemon Meringue Mess & The Ham, Egg & Chips Pancake Specials, priced at £11.
3) Up In Arms (Marston), Rickety Press (Jericho) and Rusty Bicycle (East Oxford) Go all out on DIRTY PANCAKE DAY. Peanut Butter Jam? Don’t Go Bacon My Heart? Salted Caramel Nutella Banoffee? They’re all back this year so get stuck in and fill your boots.
4) Brasserie Blanc in Jericho is running a Pancake photo day competition in which you can win a meal for four. The competition closes on Wednesday 26th February. The winner is being chosen by Raymond Blanc himself.
Go to https://brasserieblanc.com/competitiontermsandconditions/ for more details.
5) The Handlebar Cafe – Oxford – try the gluten free and vegan COCONUT PANCAKE STACK with maple syrup, shredded coconut, coconut oil, almond milk. You can also choose to add: berries, bacon or banana.
6) Dirty Bones – Westgate – PIMP YOUR PANCAKES exclusively this Pancake Day.
Take a stack of the epic Buttermilk Pancakes and go bespoke from a selection of ten epic toppings. Get saucy with caramel and chocolate, add strawberries marinated in lavender or go big and add signature fried chicken. Pimp Your Pancakes From £7 https://dirty-bones.com/events/pimp-your-pancakes
7) The Greyhound – Letcombe Regis – Head chef Liam Whittle is preparing for pancake day with a Shrove Tuesday specials board including buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup and smoked streaky bacon or honey, mixed berries and yoghurt.
8) Little Amsterdam – Banbury – The real deal – this independent Dutch restaurant specialises in pancakes and waffles, with a dazzling variety of fillings on offer, particularly on the savoury section. From haddock in a creamy smoked salmon, lemon and a white wine sauce to a full English. it’s all here to be discovered.