- Hackett’s runs a year round cafe and bar at Farmoor Reservoir for Oxford Sailing Club, which really comes into its own at this time of year. More greasy spoon than gourmet experience, let’s not deter from the immense breakfast, sandwiches, lasagna, quiche, jacket potato, sausage and chips and burger style menu. Beloved by sailors, walkers and twitchers alike, it’s open to everyone and boasts its own bird watching corner. As for Pauline’s cheesy chips and beans eaten at trestle tables overlooking the water, they alone are worth leaving home for.
2. The White Rabbit has just opened its new and long-planned beer garden smack bang in the middle of Oxford’s city centre where you can enjoy its fine selection of ales and its amazing pizzas. What’s not to like? whiterabbitoxford.co.uk
3. Giffords Circus’s Xanadu returns to Oxfordshire later this summer (Henley’s Stonor Park July 25-29, Barrington August 1-12). As much in demand, is the accompanying Circus Sauce wagon which converts into a wonderfully eclectic tented restaurant. Feast on eccentric, seasonal shared food from a daily changing menu at lunchtime or dinner, with the added bonus of the chefs’ show for a well lubricated BYO supper crowd. giffordscircus.com
4. TAP Social – looking for a more urban vibe? Tap Social has cultivated a lovely little outdoor space at its brewery and base on the Curtis Industrial Estate in Botley. Plus some kick ass street food, which changes on a regular, almost nightly basis.
Try July’s weekend offerings of Filipino Fusion, Georgian or Cheesy Indian. PS have a mentioned their naked dining?
5. If this be the summer of your discontent then head over to Blenheim Palace because not only have they recreated the original Rose Theatre from which to regale you with the classics, but have brought Shakespeare’s Village as well under the auspices of the brilliant team at Oxford Fine Dining, There’s something for everyone from posh sausages to nacho style chips which comes highly recommended!!!! oxfordfinedining.co.uk