César Sousa at Pappo on the opening night of the relaunch

When new head chef César Sousa returned to work at Pappo in Botley just a few days after its much publicised relaunch, he was unaware that the restaurant had shut for good.

Cesar was hugely excited about his new job as head chef there, and the first night of the relaunch on Friday July 29 was totally sold out.

Cesar Sousa

But when he returned to resume service on Tuesday August 2 the doors were closed. When he finally got into the space in the newly developed West Way Square he was told that the restaurant wasn’t reopening.

Pappo’s Facebook status has been changed to ‘closed permanently’

“They informed me that there’s been a management meeting the day before, and had decided to close door permanently,” he said sadly.

César Sousa’s menu at the opening night of the relaunch

César, an ex-Manoir chef with an impressive CV under his culinary belt, had been a big signing for Pappo, which had struggled since opening earlier this year. READ ABOUT IT HERE: https://www.oxinabox.co.uk/exclusive-ex-manoir-chef-cesar-sousa-heads-up-new-team-at-pappo-in-botley-for-big-relaunch-this-month/

Pappo before opening earlier this year

Originally opening as a New York deli, canteen, bar and bakery, Pappo had aimed to appeal to local office workers, students and residents alike, but then closed until Cesar was brought in to revitalise the offering. READ ABOUT IT HERE: https://www.oxinabox.co.uk/exclusive-the-lowdown-on-new-independent-restaurant-pappo-its-ny-deli-concept-all-day-canteen-style-dining-bakery-and-bar-in-botley/

Pappo’s Facebook status has been changed to ‘closed permanently’

What happens next to the space is anyone’s guess. Pappo’s Facebook status has been changed to ‘permanently closed’ and we have tried to contact the management team for a quote but haven’t had a reply yet.

In the meantime César is looking for a new job.

Watch this space!